Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Chronic allergic post-nasal drip/throat clearing/coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I'm a 65 year-old entertainer (singer) and my chronic post-nasal drip/constant throat clearing and also coughing is driving me absolutely crazy...stressed out when I entertain.  I think I've tried almost everything out there over the years, be it natural, homeopathic etc... and I'm still stuck with it.  My allergist gave up on me.  Had all the allergy shots available on the planet (allergies to dust/dust mites) and today, I read about Tussionex.  I control my blood pressure very well with Adalat once a day.  I'll be seeing my GP on April 8.  I pray that Tussionex (taken only 8 hours or 12 hours prior to my show/s as opposed to taking the narcotic regularly - that's scary) would be permissible for me even when taking Adalat.
Your comments/suggestions on Tussionex or any other medication that's proven itself effective would be greatly appreciated.  
The diagnosis, establishment of cause and the treatment of chronic cough can be most difficult.  Tussionex® (hydrocodone bitartrate and chlorpheniramine maleate) is a potent cough-suppressant.  There is no significant drug interaction between it and the Adalat® (nifedipine).  Your concern about the use of a narcotic is appropriate.  This is an addictive narcotic.  It suppresses cough but does not address the specific cause of an individual's cough.  Determination of the cause and cause-specific treatment is highly preferable to simple suppression, but not always possible.  To learn more please read our chronic cough information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/Chronic-Cough.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.

Routine use of a nasal steroid spray can be very effective in the treatment of postnasal drip.  It decreases inflammation in the nose and sinuses along with mucus production.  When a nasal steroid spray is used regularly it can prevent postnasal drip.  However it does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may need to be used every day for several weeks to months to notice improvement in the symptoms.  To get the most help from any nasal spray first do a nasal wash to remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  To learn more about this technique please read our nasal wash treatment information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.
Please note that when the given chronic cough information adress is copied/pasted into browser

this is what I get:

Error Reporting Page, No Error Detected
You've reached a hidden page that handles our Web site errors. Please choose another page.

Return to home page...

© Copyright 2008 National Jewish Medical and Research Center

HIPAA Policy | Disclaimer | Privacy