Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Cough that won't go away...

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Cough that won't go away...

Hello.  I have been sick with a variety of ailments for almost 5 months now.  Here's a quick list of the issues.
1. Sore throat, nasal thing - took amoxicillian.  Cleared it up
2. Bacterial Vaginosis while pregnant - took Flagal. Cleared it up.  Then got a yeast infection, which I used Monistat for.  It cleared up as well.
3. Had a bad cough in November - was given an antibiotic (can't remember which), cleared it up, but I had a late term miscarriage right afterward.  Still had the bad cough a few weeks later, was given Azythromax.  It cleared up the cough a bit.
4. Still had a slight cough beginning of January.  Have an awful taste in mouth when coughing.  Had terrible pains in upper, lower chest and back. Was given Advair.  Took the Advair twice. Had awful chest pains from it. Stopped taking Advair.  Went back to Dr's, was diagnosed with Pleurisy.  Given Naproxan for inflammation.  Took a chest x-ray 2 weeks ago.  Was told it was clear.
5. Chest pains have subsided, have stopped taking Naproxen.
6. Once a week or so, I get a terrible cough (not bringing anything up), alot of wheezing in my chest and still have the awful taste in my mouth when I cough.  Almost a metallic, fishy taste.  The "bottom" of my throat, the part just before the collar bone, (esophogus?) feels irritated also.

Am wondering if this is a heartburn/reflux thing since I DO have heartburn and take Prilosec for ....but what is the cough and funny taste and wheezing from.  Could I possibly have an infection that won't go away?  Asthma?  
Any suggestions? I'm getting very frustrated!
Thank you in advance!
Melissa
Wow.  You have had more than your share of illness.

A person can have reflux, even while taking Prilosec® (omeprazole) and this might be the cause.  If so, it could also be the cause of your cough and wheezing, which can be signs of asthma.  Medicine can cause a metallic, fishy taste.  So can infection of tonsils, nose, throat, sinuses or teeth.  One can have an abscessed tooth, without pain.

You might want to go to this website for other causes of such abnormal tastes.  http://wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/metallic_taste/causes.htm.
Thank you for your help!
You may want to have an HIV test also. You seem to have alot of random symptoms that may or may not be connected. I'm not trying to alarm you, but you want to rule out all of the possibilities.
A related discussion, My constant chest wheezing and strange nose noises was started.