Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Diaphragmatic plication

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Diaphragmatic plication

I had the Diaphragmatic plication (I think).  the doctor told me it was to repair my phrenic nerve that was damaged when I had my thymus out.  Ever sinde the surgery my left side has been numb.  In December I started to get a feeling as if there is something there.  Everytime I move I feel as though there is something between my chest and stomach.  I also get some pain occasionaly.  Is this normal?
The numbness of your left side may be due to chest wall sensory nerve damage, a possible outcome of chest surgery.  The recent onset of a feeling that "...there is something between my chest and stomach" is abnormal and should be investigated.  You and your doctors need to know if this feeling is related to your surgery and unimportant vs. its being a complication that might even require further surgery.  If additional surgery is recommended, you might want to consider requesting a second opinion.