Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Food aspiration
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Food aspiration

I read on an earlier post that someone had aspirated a cheerio. The reply stated that the lungs can break down a cheerio.  Well, I took a quick, deep breath in and apparently there was still a piece of ground turkey in my mouth/throat.  I'm coughing after 30 mins and still have the burning/ tight sensation in my chest.

So my question is... How long should these symptoms last... AND can my lungs break up Meat?

Thank you for any enlightenment.
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Unfortunately, your lungs cannot “break-up meat” or, for that matter, other organic matter including vegetables and nuts.  Such aspirated material will, in many instances, not be visualized on a routine chest x-ray, an exception being bone.  If not coughed up within minutes to hours, such material may remain in your airway for months and may become a focus of infection, such as pneumonia and/or lung abscess, and a source of chronic cough.  If you are convinced that you have not cleared the turkey and, especially, if your symptoms continue by the time you receive this response you should definitely call your doctor or go to the nearest full-service emergency room (ER).  It may be necessary to physically remove the aspirated material with the use of a bronchoscope.

Good luck.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker