Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
My dad has been diagnosed with emphysema

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Hi all,

My father is is 64 and has smoked for 50 years. He collapsed at work with pain in his knee and shortness of breath. He has suffered with a bad shoulder for months where he can not lift his arm. He has suffered from cough for long while due to the smoking. He is fit as a fiddle and healthy normal weight.
He was taken to hospital and docs said that his blood showed signs if clotting. They began treatment for blood clots. He was suffering with knee pain and shoulder pain went from one shoulder to the other. He couldn't take normal breaths because of the severe pain it caused him. His breathes were short and he was screaming in pain as he was breathing. Docs said his lung was inflamed and he had chest infection.
My dad stayed in hospital for a week receiving treatment for blood clots. In the end the docs said he doesn't have blood clots and he has emphysema . He did not have oxygen in hospital . He has been sent home from hospital today with paracetamol and co dean pain killers and told to come back in 3 month for a ct scan.
He is a window fitter works on very tall buildings. The doc said fine to go to work on Monday. He is due to fly to egypt from uk in four weeks . Docs said he is fine to fly.
All in all the pain in knee has gone . He has pain in shin now?!?! Can breathe but hurts his chest if taken a deep breathe. I am and he is extremely confused with the whole situation. Any one experienced the same problems or know anything about my dads situation would be very much appreciated .
Your Father appears to have multiple problems including arthritis (of the knee and shoulders), smoking related chronic lung disease, lung infection with associated chest pain (pleurisy) and may or may not have had blood clots to his lungs.  Your description of his signs and symptoms suggests that not all of these have been completely resolved and, perhaps, not adequately explained.

A person who is unable to “lift his arm” should not be working (presumably on the outside) on tall buildings as such immobility could dangerously increase the possibility that he would fall and/or drop materials/tools required for his work.

The basis for his having been declared “fine to fly”, is not clear to me.   With the likelihood of COPD, restriction of breathing by chest pain resulting in an inability to “take normal breaths” and with the combination (perhaps compounded by blood clots) likely to result in low blood oxygen levels, I would be concerned about his being cleared to fly without a physician re-assessment of his underlying lung diseases, the cause of his acute pain and measurement of his blood oxygen levels.  In short, there appear to be too many unanswered questions about his health.  

I realize that it might not be easy to arrange through the National Health System, but ideally I would recommend that your Father have a second medical opinion, to resolve and treat his ill-defined illness.  In the meantime, I would be reluctant to have him travel, especially by airplane, until there is better medical resolution of what exactly is going-on.

Good luck