Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Non-calcified lung nodules

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Non-calcified lung nodules

Hi I'm a 27yr female non-smoker in excellent health, however, I recently had a chest x-ray as part of my physical for school  and the results came back abnormal. My doctor ordered a CT scan of the chest which reveal 2 non-calcified lung nodules that are 3-4mm. I have no hisortyof lung cancer in my family, however, my grandmother died of breast cancer at 52yrs old. My doctor would like me to come in for a follow up in 9-12months.I'm very concerned about my test results. The report says that I have a small area of parenchymal consolidation, atelectasis or scarring tracking  along the peribronchial tissue of the anterobasal segment of the right lower lobe. Also, 2 non-calcified nodules in the periphery of the right lower lobe 3-4mm. The doctor stated that any risk factors such as history of cancer and smoking should be considered. Back in June of this year I had a dry cough for 2 weeks with a moderate fever and it went away with no problems. I haven't had any breathing problems I worked in the health field and had a number of TB test which all came back negative. In the past I've had a few dry cough but nothing too serious. Should I consult a pulmonary doctor or is it advisable to wait and get my follow-up ct scan.Also, what are the chances that these nodules will become cancerous?
Any time someone finds a nodule on a routine x-ray, there is some concern.  While the vast majority of these are benign and relate to previous infection, some do, in fact, indicate a more serious problem.  There are two things that I would recommend:
1. It is reasonable to see a Pulmonologist if your level of concern is high.  He/She may probably will not do anything at this time, but may order some more sophisticated radiology tests, depending on their level of concern.
2. Get a repeat of the CT scan in 6 months and not wait nine months to a year.  No change in the status is a good sign there is nothing to worry about.