Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Overwhelming Heaviness Feeling Overnight

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I'm 52 y/o white male. I live alone.
I've been on oxygen for a year now and steroids (Prednisone for 2 years).
I have severe COPD, emphysema. I have had swelling in my legs for a year. My normal weight is 140lbs,I now weigh 185lbs and a week ago I woke up one morning to an extreme heaviness or weakness. All the weigh looks like my belly but my belly is Rock Hard. I am scared as  I can barely walk to bathroom without my oxygen taking a nose dive and the heaviness in my body is overwhelming.

Please help.
Prednisone side effects include fluid retention and increased appetite, with (sometimes) significant weight gain.  I strongly suggest that the need and the benefit for you of prednisone therapy be reconsidered.  What you have described suggests that the side effects may outweigh the benefits.  You should consider requesting a second medical opinion from a lung specialist to assess the diagnosis, the need for oxygen and the optimum medical regimen for you.

Good luck