Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Pain in the Left Chest.

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Pain in the Left Chest.

I am a 20 yr old male, Smoking since 3 years. I have a lingering dull pain in the left side of my chest since a month now. Its not a bad pain but its surely noticeable and discomforting. Never before this pain has been triggerd by smoking. But yesterday it started after i had a cig. It usually subsides after a while. Breathing dosent affect the pain. And i have no problems breathing. I've taken chest x rays,bloodtests and ecgs/bp which all came out normal.  
The doctors say that its all because i think about it a lot. Also I had a anxiety disorder. But not anymore.

I really want to know what causes this pain and how it can go away.
What you describe may, despite your impression, have little or nothing to do with smoking.  The absence of trouble breathing and the normal chest X-ray makes this even more likely.  For example, the pain could be on the basis of musculoskeletal strain, perhaps compounded by anxiety.

You should definitely stop smoking, both on the general principle of seeking to lead a healthy life and to determine if there is any relation of smoking to the pain which, again, I doubt.

You have had the appropriate tests for the moment.  Should the pain persist and especially should it worsen, it would be appropriate to repeat the blood count and Chest X-ray in a month or two and then remain in contact for reevaluation as recommended by your doctor.  Be assured, the normal X-ray is good news as it rules out most significant diseases.

Good luck