Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Please help...

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Please help...

Hi im 26 years old. I have been smoking for 11 years now. Since last year, i been having this cough off and on for 2 months sometimes every 3 months. I went to the er when my chest was bad. They diagnosed it as reactive airways disease. A week later i went to see my dr and she sent a order out for a pulmonary function test. I did that and the results came back fine, and there was nothing wrong with my lungs. The er gave me albuterol ventolin hfa. Whenever i use it, the medicine makes my chest more worse. I dnt know why, but as of now im 28 weeks pregnant, and as of right now since mothers day, i been having this whistling in my chest and i have been coughing since last week sunday, with a rumbling sound in my chest wen i inhale and exhale. I havent used my inhaler or nothing else. I still have the cough with the rumbling in my chest. I cough up mucous with it. Someone tell me what is going on...one if my friends said it sounds like a chest cold. Im still smokin also. Please help or some advice. Thanks.
What you describe suggests that you have chronic bronchitis secondary to cigarette smoke and that is a serious problem.  Pulmonary function test results that are said to be “normal” do not mean that there is “nothing wrong” with your lungs.  The “rumbling “ in your chest, along with  the “raising of mucous” with cough indicate that something is definitely “wrong” with your lungs and that you do everything possible, with your doctor’s assistance, to quit smoking immediately, for your welfare and that of your baby.

The inhaler will not prevent damage to your lungs, should you continue to smoke.  It is also possible that you have underlying asthma and that that too has been worsened by cigarette smoke.

Good luck
Anybodys advice please!!
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker