Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Pulmonary tuberculosis or other diagnosis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I had an x-ray last September indicating that i have a high density on the apical area of my right lung I took another x-ray this October and findings says reticulonodular densities in the right apical region. I don't have fever, weight loss, hemoptysis and fatigue now and before.......... I also don't have previous x-rays months and years ago.... I'm24 years old but when i was an infant, I had asthma attacks and now i have outgrown in... I don't have asthma now... is this a possible Tuberculosis or another disease? Is this also active or inactive TB?
Yes, the reticulonodular densities seen in the right apical region, on your chest X-ray, are quite likely to be the residual scarring of tuberculosis, by your description, probably inactive.  Other diseases, for example infection with the fungous Histoplasmosis, can mimic TB infection on X-ray. It is good news that you have no symptoms of illness, but inactive TB should not be presumed.  You should definitely follow-up with your physician or with a lung specialist (Pulmonologist) recommended by your physician, as after active TB has been ruled-out, you are likely to be a candidate for what is called prophylactic (preventive) therapy, most commonly with the drug INH, for a period of 6-9 months.

It is important that you seek medical consultation for this finding for if this proves to be inactive TB, the chance of reactivation even in the distant future, will be significantly reduced by the administration of preventive therapy at this time.  

This X-ray finding, in all likelihood, is unrelated to asthma.
Thank you so much for that medical advice. It really helped me a lot.. I collaborated my condition with a pulmonologist and He prescribed me to take AntiTuberculosis medication Rifampicin, ethambutol, isoniazid and pyrazinamide for 6 months. I hope the scar in my X-ray will disappear after this treatment and i will be following the regimen with good compliance..

Thank you so much and may god bless us all..