Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Throat infection and tough

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Throat infection and tough

Sir, I am a Ph.D student in china. For the last 5 years, I usually get the titled infection mostly in rainy days. I often take very much care but the infection is still there. I then go to docter but he gives me Antibiotic. The infection finishs for a period but not permanently. Please suggest and advise the dose for me to be permanently cured. Thanks
Abdul Hakim Shah
I am sorry to hear of your throat problem.  Not all throat infections are caused by bacteria (most commonly streptococcus sore throat) and when not caused by bacteria are not cured by antibiotics.

The soreness (or “infection”) of your throat could be caused by infection or inflammation of your nose and/or sinuses, called post-nasal drip.  For that nasal irrigation or washing of the nose and throat can help relieve your throat symptoms.  Sometimes what seems to be an infection is really irritation of the throat caused by air pollution.  Another possibility would be that you have asthma of the type that mostly causes cough and not wheezing but that does not usually appear to be a throat infection.

I wish I could provide advice that would result in a permanent cure, but I cannot.  What I would suggest, however, is that your throat or any mucous you cough-up be send to the bacteriology laboratory for culture the next time you get an “infection.”

I will mention one more possibility.  Some persons have a condition called acid-reflux; also called Gastroesophageal reflux disease (or GERD) in which acid flows up from the stomach into the throat.  That can cause a sore throat and cough and is a treatable condition.  You might want to ask your doctor about that possibility.

Good luck