Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
coughing fits for >4months

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

coughing fits for >4months

, Apr 04, 2008 02:16AM
Tags: cough
I have been sick for almost 4 months.  It started out with the worst sore throat of my life..horrible pain, pus covered swollen throat. swollen glands and a feeling that my airway was in a spasm. The cough also started then. Coughing fits that last for min. tears rolling down my face gagging and coughing to the point of vomitting.  The sore throat went away after 2 weeks but the cough is still here.  I have wheezing that is not present all the time.  I also have gurgling sounds in my left lung that also are not constant.  I have seen my MD and did levaquin and steroids.  The steroids seemed to help for a while.  I also went to pulmonary MD  who did some spirometry test on a computer but he said they were normal.  Of course i didnt cough or have any symptoms during my visit but they are still present.  I had a chest xray apparently normal.  These coughing fits to the point of gagging are horrible.  I am also very, very tired and have headaches.  I need to know what it is and how to treat it.  Pulm. MD thinks its a virus and wants me to treat the asthma symp. with asthma meds.  I need to know what it is and how to get rid of it.  4 months is too long to be feeling this sick Please help if you can.

The pulmonologist is right; whatever the cause, your cough and wheezing should be treated with asthma medicines.  He may be right to suggest that this is a viral infection but you should also be checked for bacterial infection, sinusitis and other causes of cough.  The cough may be asthma related or maybe not.  That should not be assumed.  Your pulmonologist should look to diagnose other causes of cough.  One diagnosis, often not considered, that is characterized by a terrible cough that can last as long as 3 to 4 months, is pertussis, commonly called whooping cough.  One reason it is not considered is that many doctors do not realize how often it occurs in adults.  You might want to ask your doctor about this possibility.  Also, if it has been quite some time since the chest x-ray, you should have another.  And, at the same time have a throat culture.

Good luck.