Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
coughing fits for >4months
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

coughing fits for >4months

, Apr 04, 2008 02:16AM
Tags: cough
I have been sick for almost 4 months.  It started out with the worst sore throat of my life..horrible pain, pus covered swollen throat. swollen glands and a feeling that my airway was in a spasm. The cough also started then. Coughing fits that last for min. tears rolling down my face gagging and coughing to the point of vomitting.  The sore throat went away after 2 weeks but the cough is still here.  I have wheezing that is not present all the time.  I also have gurgling sounds in my left lung that also are not constant.  I have seen my MD and did levaquin and steroids.  The steroids seemed to help for a while.  I also went to pulmonary MD  who did some spirometry test on a computer but he said they were normal.  Of course i didnt cough or have any symptoms during my visit but they are still present.  I had a chest xray apparently normal.  These coughing fits to the point of gagging are horrible.  I am also very, very tired and have headaches.  I need to know what it is and how to treat it.  Pulm. MD thinks its a virus and wants me to treat the asthma symp. with asthma meds.  I need to know what it is and how to get rid of it.  4 months is too long to be feeling this sick Please help if you can.