Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
end stage copd

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

end stage copd

i have been told i niw have very severe copd i was first diagnosed about 6 years ago with copd. i am finishing up my pumonary rehab and was told of my decrease in lung function. i was also told that my lung function is 64%, showering and dressing and undressing leaves me completely out of breath. i have an appointment in july with my pulmonologist (moved up from september) and also will get a complete lung function tests, will probally be put on oxygen at that time. i am a sixty three year old male who worked around asbestoes, freon 12 and 22,chemicals and pesticides. also a was frequently with my brother-in-law who sprayed asbestosin the late 60s and70s including the twin towers complex in nyc sometimes i would help him. my main question is having read everything i could about copd but couldn't find what my long or short range prognosis is can you help? thank you mike
Tags: prognosis
I am sorry, but it is not possible to suggest a prognosis, based on this limited information.  The answer will depend in large part on the severity of the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the severity of the asbestosis and the severity of whatever degree of lung fibrosis you might have from your other industrial exposures.  Also, the prognosis will be highly dependent on whether you have quit smoking or continue to smoke.

The main determinants of prognosis will be the results of complete pulmonary function tests (PFTs), the magnitude of reduced oxygen levels in your blood and the amount of supplemental oxygen required to establish normal blood levels, and your exercise capacity when oxygen levels are normal.

Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, End Stages for Chronic Bronchitis was started.