Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
fev1 or fev1/fvc - What is the diagnising reading

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Im 28 years old and smoked about 10 cigs/day for 11 years. A few days back I was asked to take pft test. My spirometry readings are fev1: 76% before bronchodilator and 79% after bronchodilator; fvc: 80% and 82%; fev/fvc 79%.
Most of websites I have come across, say that fev1/fvc should be less than 70% for diagonising COPD, and that fev1 is used to calculate the severity. Do I have COPD?
Tags: FEV1
It is highly likely, based on your age and PFT results, that you do not have COPD.  Your statement regarding the criteria for establishing the diagnosis of COPD is largely correct.

“Normal “ pulmonary function test values are based on the average of large numbers of PFT results found in persons your age, gender,  height and race.  Your results may well be within the normal range but even if so, you would do well to stop smoking to preserve your good pulmonary function for the next 75 years.

Good luck