Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
heavy yellow phlegm and pain in left lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I have been seeing yellow discharge from my sinuses for the past 4 months. Now the phlegm has gotten to be very thick and is in the back of my throat in which I try and pull it up. I've noticed over the last few days that I also am having pain in my left lung when I smoke and even when I don't smoke it feels sore.

What could this be?
Tags: phlegm
While the yellow discharge may seem to be coming from your sinuses, it may be originating in the lungs.  The yellow discharge should be cultured for bacteria and fungi.  You should also have a chest x-ray and CT scan of the sinuses.  Then therapy can be directed to the source.
Anything with yellow or green phlem is a sign of an infection . I would go get checked out and for u to waited this long my god im surprised you didnt end up in the E.R.  yet . Please go to your family docotor or find a pulmanary doctor or have your family doc referr you to one. Best of luck and hope you get well for the holidays !!!! .......2young
I called my doctor yesterday and he put me on Azithromycin Tablets for 5 days. I am still a bit worried because of the length of time I've been experiencing this.

Do you think I should still see a pulmonary doctor even after I've taken the antibiotics. I have quit smoking now for good.
Thats up too you wether u feel as though you truly need one. If your doctor gave you antibiotics just see how they work out if they didnt work out then i would ask your doc to test you further , do chest x-ray  and a spiormetry test .If he doesnt then tell him to reffer you to a pulmanary doc !!