Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
jump in blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

jump in blood pressure
My normal blood pressure is around 112/70, but a couple of times this last month it has climbed to 200/115 and I have had to go to the E.R., but I am never told what causes these sudden jumps in blood pressure, they give me antibotics and send me home. I was told by a friend that it could be pulmonary hypertension because I have enphazema and cronic broncitus, but would this cause the blood pressure to do this only occasionally?
What you describe, episodes of severe hypertension are a most serious situation.  There are a number of potential causes but the list does not include pulmonary hypertension.  I suspect that the antibiotics were given for your lung condition, not for anything related to your blood pressure.

One cause of such episodic rises in blood pressure is a tumor of the adrenal gland, called pheochromocytoma, which can periodically discharge the equivalent of adrenalin into your blood stream, but there are others.  Kidney specialists and heart specialists are experts on high blood pressure and its causes and treatments.

You should seek consultation with one or the other, without delay, and stop relying on emergency room care.
A related discussion, Sudden spike in blood pressure was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker