Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
living donor lung transplant for my dad

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

living donor lung transplant for my dad

My father who has severe emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and asbestosis is getting worse. He is 58 years old. I am 27 and have done a little research on the living donor lung transplant. my question is .... in most cases does it require 2 living donors to donate or can one person donate ? I would do this for him in a heart beat if there was anyway. The only problem is  i started smoking when i was 19  but stoped 5 years ago ! would i not be consiered as a good canadate for a transplant? My guess would be yes but you never know. I know he is getting worse by the day.... please help with any info/ advice. i would not hesitate a second to donate if there was anyway i could. Thanks.
In living-donor lobar lung transplantation (LDLLT), 2 healthy donors donate their right or left lower lobe.  Whether you would or would not be a good candidate for donation depends upon the deleterious effect that the smoking has had on your lungs.  Your best bet would be to contact the nearest lung transplant center and request a copy of their policy, including exclusionary factors.  They may have a policy on the number of pack-years, determined by multiplying the number of packs smoked daily by the number of years smoked.  There are pulmonary function tests (PFTs) criteria and they may even offer to perform the PFTs.  If they don't offer the test and it is required for even initial consideration, you could arrange for PFTs through your doctor.

Good luck to you and your father.