Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
lung problems?

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

lung problems?

Hi last year I underwent an emergency angioplasty where a stent was fitted for a 99% blockage in my right coronary artery.after a myriad of side effects from the medication and officially finding out im allergic to the nickel in the stent I thought finally I was beginning to feel better.however after walking my grandson to nursery and back ( its all a gradual climb upwards all the way home) I found I had terribly dull achy pains in my legs and found it very difficult to breathe.i was struggling to put one foot in front of the other.i have since undergone a ct scan-clear, a stress test-clear and an echocardiogram that was clear.could I I possibly have copd? Ive ben a smoker since I was 16, im now 53 .I also suffer  with more nasal mucous,chest pain abd breathlessness on exertion
Yes, you could have COPD and the best way to find-out if you do and get appropriate therapy is for your doctor to schedule you for pulmonary function testing (PFT’s) also called spirometry.  So-called simple Spirometry will do.

But there are other possibilities and, even in the face of the CT scan, stress test and echocardiogram, you could have had a pulmonary embolus (clot to the lungs), an abnormal heart rhythm, one that might not appear on a stress test but might with 72 hour cardiac (rhythm) monitoring.  The “dull achy pains” in your legs could be a reflection of clots in your leg veins (deep venous thrombosis or DVT) or poor arterial circulation in the large blood vessels of the legs.  You might want to ask your doctors about these possibilities.

Given your problem with coronary artery disease, you would be wise to work with your doctor to do everything in your power to stop smoking.  It is never too late to stop smoking and benefit from the cessation.

Good luck
Could the above be due to copd?
Thankyou so much for your reply to my query.my doctor has agreed for me to have a spirometry test and I will certainly mention the possible other conditions to her.i am trying really hard to stop smoking thankyou once again