Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
pansinusitis and bronchitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

pansinusitis and bronchitis

I have had several  sinus infections which leads to bronchitis, coughing and wheezing over the past two years. I have just started seeing an allergist (he had been with National Jewish) who ordered a CT scan of the sinuses next time I was symptomatic.  I had the CT scan yesterday and picked up the report today.  My throat is killing me and I noticed today that my left tonsil has a fairly large swollen area near its base.  The CT report said that I have pansinusitis with occlusion of the infundibular channels and sphenoethmodial recesses.  How is this different than a simple sinus infection?  Is it serious?  I was just started on antibiotics today.
Pansinusitis means infection/inflammation of all sinuses.  The fact that all sinuses are involved puts this into the category of severe sinusitis.  The reference to occlusion indicates obstruction to sinus drainage and, in the absence of adequate drainage, mucus is retained in the sinuses, infection is more likely to occur and much less likely to respond to antibiotic therapy.  This may require surgical intervention by an ENT specialist.

I assume that “my throat is killing me” means that you have a very sore throat.  That and the swollen area near the left tonsillar base is worrisome.  It suggests infection may have extended beyond the tonsil borders into what is called the peri-tonsillar area, causing a peritonsillar abscess.  If that is the case, this is a very serious infection that could easily spread to adjacent structures.

This is a situation that requires rapid, effective intervention.  I strongly suggest that you and your doctor arrange for consultation with an ENT specialist, without delay, today if possible.

That the sinus infection has spread to your throat makes this much more serious than, for example CT evidence of one sinus.

Good luck.