Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

pneumonia

I was diagnosed with Bronchial pneumonia several weeks ago and I after a course of antibiotics am much better - follow up office visit Doctor heard no lung sounds but initial X-ray showed mild pulmonary fibrosis along with pneumonia - I am not a smoker and am an avid exerciser not experiencing any shortness of breath when exercising . Does this mean that I have progressive lung disease or is it common to see these markers initially with my type of pneumonia
The answer to your question is significantly dependent upon what exactly was described by “mild pulmonary fibrosis.”  If localized to the same area of your lung as was the pneumonia, it might, in reality, not be fibrosis.  If the description of “mild fibrosis” refers instead to shadows consistent with fibrosis, throughout both lungs, that is another matter; one that might eventually require a CT Scan to further delineate what it is that these “fibrosis” markings represent.

Given that you are an “avid exerciser not experiencing shortness of breath when exercising” I would recommend that you get a repeat chest X-ray in 1-2 months along with pulmonary function tests (PFT’s).  If the repeat X-ray is still deemed to be abnormal (“fibrosis”) it would then be wise to seek consultation with a lung specialist, to interpret the findings and provide further guidance.

Given your exercise capacity, my take on this is that the “mild fibrosis” will not be clinically significant.  In any event, even if the interpretation is valid and there are mild changes that, alone, would definitely not be indicative of progressive lung disease.

Good luck