Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
problem cough #2

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

problem cough #2

I don't smoke! I've had the Xrays, cat scans, ekgs.
Several months ago I had developed a lump on my my upper chest it was spongy nothing showed in the xrays. It grew larger on sine days tgen other.I've never coughed up any phelm. But I was lathargic and extreamly sick.. I could not breat or talk for weeks. The doctors have no idea w what's wrong with me.
I've stopped the pain meds they were useless foe the pain. I live in Co so MMj is legal here. I pirchased some soft drinks. I take a teaspoon at night and one in the morning this has helped with the pain and the sleep. However it doesn't help with issues I have with coughing when I exhale. Sometimes the coughs doesn't come out I simply can't breath at all for days at a time. If any of this makes sense. Suggestions would be great.my quality of life has been quite difficult. .
Ymda
I need some advice.
The hard cough alone could be the cause of your “severe backache between shoulder blades” as could also many physical activities, such as heavy lifting, that could put a strain on your back muscles.  That is most likely since, I assume, the X-rays and CT scan showed no other abnormalities, and your statement “when my breathing is ok, I don’t have the back pain.”

I note the mention of COPD below.  That is unlikely, since you “don’t smoke” and the diagnosis of asthma would be a much more likely diagnosis.  I can only say that there are very many causes of the type of cough you have; sometimes the best approach is to seek care at a hospital Cough Clinic, staffed by doctors with a strong interest in and experience with the causes and management of cough.  If what you say, “the doctors have no idea what’s wrong with me”, your best chance would be to arrange to be seen by a lung specialist, ideally in a cough clinic.  Since you live in Colorado, your best bet would be either at National Jewish Health or at the University of Colorado Hospital Clinic.

I am sorry I can’t be any more specific, but that is the nature of cough diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck