Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
spriometry and allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

spriometry and allergies

About 5 years ago, I had some spirometry results that indicated possible early emphysema (I was 40 at the time).  I quit and felt better within a couple weeks.  I recently found out that I'm allergic to tobacco.  Is it possible that the spirometry results were affected by this and that I don't really have the beginnings of emphysema.  I'm just curious because it's always been a concern.
No, that is not a likely possibility.  If you have concerns, I would simply repeat the spirometry and see if the obstruction is still present or not.  It is an easy test.  The fact that you stopped smoking may have improved the results.