Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
unintentional rapid weight loss
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

unintentional rapid weight loss

I'm a 24 year old female, I weighed 145 pounds a month ago, I'm now weighing 130 today, in the last 3 days i've lost 5 pounds. I'm not eating any differently than normal, I don't work out, Does anyone know what could be causing my weight loss? I know that losing this weight unintentionaly and this rapid is "unhealthy". I'd like to know what could be going on with my body
Thanks
Jessica
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
There are many causes of rapid weight loss but seldom this amount of weight in such a short period, unless fasting.  Some of the more common causes would be a loss of fluid due to use of diuretics and/or laxatives, an overactive thyroid gland, eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia, chronic poisoning and probably the most common diabetes mellitus, commonly called sugar diabetes.  Weight loss can also be associated with some tumors but that is usually accompanied by a poor appetite.

You should see your doctor as soon as you can and an exam and a few simple tests should quickly provide an answer.

Good luck
2 Comments
Blank
Not sure you posted this in the correct forum, as it doesn't appear to be related to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), which is a serious systemic progressive lung condition including emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
I'd suggest you start by making a prompt appointment with & seeing your family physician or internist and asking for a complete workup to see what's going on.  It may include some blood tests and other evaluation.  
One thing that occurs off-hand is whether you've ever been evaluated for Celiac disease, where the body is unable to tolerate gluten and wheat, which can cause weight loss and digestive issues.  Your docs can help you investigate to see what's going on with your body.
Good luck!
Starion
Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979