Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
upper right quadrant pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

upper right quadrant pain

about 3 months ago i had  this feeling of a flutter in my upper right quadrant area the discomfort gradually got worse so went to GP who sent me for a ct scan were upon they found a cystson the liver all other organs are nomal GP said the siz of cyst should not cause any  but would seek advise from a gastroenterologist still waiting, the discomfort has worsened since the scan and now is quite painful at times as it still is intermittent  but seems to be present throughout the day now there are times during the day when i can feel sick, i now have the same flutter feeling (as if a baby is moving about in early pregnacy) in the lower abdomen on the left just below the belly button could this be the same thing and any idea as to what it could be .
Liver cysts are often congenital and usually asymptomatic.  Thus any assumption that the cyst is the cause of your right upper quadrant (RUQ) pain may be incorrect.  Suspicion of an association between your RUQ and left lower quadrant (LLQ) symptoms is tempting, but such an association is not immediately apparent, unless the cyst is irrelevant and the RUQ pain was referred from a LLQ lesion.  If I understand correctly, 3 months have passed since the CT scan and, in dealing with cystic lesions, a significant enlargement of the cyst could occur in that period of time.

Your comparison of the LLQ pain to “a baby moving about” is intriguing and raises the remote possibility of an ectopic pregnancy.

Given the recent development of LLQ pain, it would be inappropriate to wait very long for an appointment with the gastroenterologist.  In fact, I wonder if you might do well to see a general abdominal surgeon for further assessment of your abdomen and consideration of relatively non-invasive laparoscopic surgery.  I suggest that you arrange to see your doctor promptly, for reevaluation and re-examination and ask that he/she intervene to speed-up the appointment time.  Your doctor may also want to either repeat the abdominal CT scan or order an ultrasound examination for more up-to-date information on the status of the liver cyst and your other abdominal organs.  Do not delay.

Good luck.