Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
very low o2 stats

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

very low o2 stats

Im 32 and the last couple of weeks been getting really dizzy and have blacked out 8+ times. My doc did an o2 test over night last night. Just sitting watching tv my levels were in the mid 80s and sleeping it dropped to the low 60s.  Will oxygen help get rid of my dizziness and blacking out...
The answer to your question is, Yes, But…..

By that I mean that the oxygen will raise your blood oxygen level but more important is that you and your doctors find out what is causing these dangerously low oxygen levels.  

With these very low oxygen levels it is very likely that they are the cause of your dizziness and blacking out.  The latter, the “blacking out” is very worrisome both because the low oxygen levels that seem to be causing it is bound to be harmful to many of your body organs and the second reason that you could fall and sustain a serious head injury.

If your doctor is unable or unwilling to try to find out the cause of this oxygen deprivation, you should make arrangements to see a lung specialist. He/she may assist you in finding a good lung specialidt.  You should do this with a sense of urgency as you are now at a high risk of serious injury.  In the meantime, you should not drive, not ride a bicycle or motorcycle, not climb ladders or any unguarded structure from which you could fall and, in general, try to be aware of your physical circumstance, such as being on stairs, and take precautions so that if you fall, the damage to your body will be minimized.

A low blood oxygen is often referred to as decreased oxygen saturation.  There are many causes of this but one that is frequently not immediately diagnosed is called an atrial septal defect or a patent foramen ovale, that allows venous blood to bypass the lungs.  Another is obesity hypoventilation.

Once again, please take my advice and do not delay.  If you can find the time, please provide us feed back on what is found and how you are doing.

Good luck