32, non-smoker = Emphysema?
Hi everyone.

I am a 32 year old female, never smoked.  I had a bout of pneumonia in March, and I have had shortness of breat since then.  I seemed to get better for a few weeks, but the silortness of breath returned.  Chest xrays have been clear, and a ct scan done at the beginning of the year was normal, with the exception of some scarring from valley fever.

I finally was referred to a pulmonologist, who during my initial exam didn't seem concerned, but ordered a lung function test.  I had that done this morning.  The technician said there is evidence of emphysema.  I was shocked, and I am now terrified!  He mentioned that I would be tested for Alpha-1 deficiency.  Can emphysema be diagnosed through lung function testing alone?  Wouldn't it have shown on the chest ct I had just a few months ago?

The test still has to be reviewed by my pulmonologist, but I am so scared.  I have 2 young children, and I'm afraid of what will happen if it becomes debilitating.  I know I may be jumping the gun, but everything I have read so far doesn't seem to suggest this could be a false positive.  Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.  I've been crying all day knowing that my life could be potentially cut short, and that I may have passed this Alpha-1 nonsense onto my children.