Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Any better options out there besides Advair?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Hi,  I have asthsma and use Advair.  I have heard about some potential worrysome side effectsd and it's damm expensive.  Does anyone have a better choice for controlling asthsma?  Thanks, Tjoyce
Tags: advair
I have copd and use spiriva and symbicort.  They are both very helpful for my symptoms however you think advair is expensive?????   All of the breathing medications I use are out of sight.  It is really sad when a person can't breath and have to pay so much just for air huh?
Yea, it's disgusting.  So, if you meds are even more expensive I don't think I'll try to switch at this time, but I do worry about the risk factors with advair.   It seems like capatilist greed has taken over America.  I hope that Obama will make some needed changes to our awful healthcare system.  Did you see Sicko?  tjoyce
No I didn't see the movie but have seen him on talk shows and they showed some clips of the movie.  Some things are so bad  I just don't understand why the people don't just rise up.  I have been trying to get social security disability for 30 months now and just got turned down again.  Now at the next step it will probably take another 16 to 24 months.  In the meantime I have a life threatening disease and am uninsurable due to pre-existing condition??????? I guess you have to be dead to get ss help.   I keep getting post election emails from the Obama democratic people asking for donations to fill their cup back up.  I guess I will donate as soon as President Elect Obama fixes this social security travesty   HaHa!  If you don't mind my asking, what is advair going for these days.  I really like the Symbicort as it has the same medicine as Pulmicort with albuterol added.  It has helped me not have to use the emergency inhaler so much.  I am finally getting some help from the drug company on my meds, so not sure exactly how much it is but think around $140- 150 per prescription without insurance.  Before switching I would certainly look at possible side effects of the other drugs too.  Even if these have bad side effects, I just can't breathe without them so....Good luck and have enjoyed communicating with you.
Hi,  I don't really know the current cost for advair but I'll find out and let you know, but I think about $120 each month.  I was lucky and was given a few inhalers from a friend who didn't want them anymore and before that I was getting samples....begging for them from my health clinic, but they claim no more.  I take a lesser dose to make them last longer.  If you don't mind me asking why are you attempting to get SSI?  If you can rent Sicko you should see it if for nothing else to see that you're not alone and really get more of the story.  It's sad what has happened to the middle class in America, and we shouldn't forget about the poor either.  All I can say is at least we got the democrats back in the mojority, without them the poor and middle class don't have a shot.   Anyway, I'll get back to you with that price when I get it.  Take care and good luck with that SSI claim.  Tjoyce
On the social security matter, I have asthma, emphysema, and allergies.  I have worked since I was 16 years old with an excellent work history mainly in sales and was actually very successful.  In late 2005/early 2006 my symptoms and frequency of problems began to increase so dramatically that I was missing tons of work.  I knew that the company I was working for couldn't keep me employed missing that much work, so instead of being fired I opted to go out on my private insurance disability.  If I had been fired I would not have had that option.  Anyhow you can only keep your insurance for 18 months through the cobra plan so my main objective now is medicare.  As it turns out, that was a smart move for me to make as my disability insurance has approved me finally for the long term disability which technically takes me through retirement age as long as I do not improve and with emphysema that will never happen.  Unfortunately though I have no insurance and except for medicaid or medicare I am uninsurable with a preexisting condition of this magnitude.In my state I do not qualify for medicaid so........I was so disapointed with the judges decision on my ss case.  Very hard to manage a major disease on a limited income with no insurance, hence the social security case.  It sounds as if you do not have insurance either.  Do you work?  What is your situation?  
Hi again,
              You're so correct.  I don't have health insurance and I don't work now.  When I did work I didn't get health insurance either as I worked for a small company.   I am 58 in basically average health except for asthma and high blood pressure.  I suspect that I got asthma because I was exposed to second hand smoke from birth as my mother was a heavy smoker and then stupidly started smoking by about age 16 to be like the "older" kids, but never really let my smoking become heavy and have never had a cigarette since the day my mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, about 21 years ago.  So far I'm lucky it's just asthma.  How about you?  You have asthma and emphysema and allergies.  Who doesn't have allergies though...what kind of allergies?  Did you do you smoke?  Toni
I have reactions to all the pollens.  Mold is especially hard on me.  All the pollens can trigger worse symptoms of the emphysema.  It is weird, but I cannot handle being somewhere there is a wood burning fireplace either.  You are right, in our envoirnment now days who doesn't have allergies.  Mine are really not that bad but that they are triggers for the asthma and emphysema.  Yes, 40 year smoker.  I am so proud of you that you laid them down.  I still fight the battle everyday.  Does stress trigger your asthma?  I have to really watch my stress level.  Also, in the last few years I have started to have allergic reactions to lots of drugs.  Even drugs that I had previously taken several times.  I think my body is in rebellion!  ha ha Every time I see my family doctor and ask him a question about a health issue he starts out the answer" as we get older...."  I then just tell him "don't say it!"  ha ha What part of the country are you in?  I am in Oklahoma.  Several years ago I lived in California for about 7 years.  Loved the ocean but it never really felt like home.        LeaAnn
advair without insurance is $280.00 per month