Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Big gulps of air

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Big gulps of air

I have COPD and emphysema.  Once in a while I've been taking in very deep breaths like a swimmer coming up for air.  It has no warning and it feels like I'm sucking in as much air as possible.  What could be causing this?  
Hi!
This could be due to low oxygen in the blood. Once this happens, you gasp to increase the air capacity of your lungs. Alternatively it can be to expel extra carbondioxide accumulation. You must get the COPD and emphysema status updated to see how severe it is and whether you need intermittent oxygen therapy. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Thank you so much.  I couldn't get an answer out of anyone.  I am going to see my doctor today.  I've been really tired and sleepy lately.  Thanks again.