Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Bronchiectasis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Bronchiectasis

Can Bronchiectasis result after just one run in with acute bronchitis that lasted about 3 weeks?

I read that it can occur after recurrent infections, but I only had one...acute bronchitis.

I ask this because after being diagnosed with acute bronchitis 5 weeks ago and having it for 3 weeks, my cough got MUCH MUCH better, but I still can hear/feel the "chest congestion" and purposefully cough to attempt to get rid of the phlegm in my lungs/chest.

When I do cough in the MORNING (on purpose), I cough up quite thick chunks of phlegm that are bright yellow, sometimes a greenish color (I cough about 10 chunks up each morning), and then as the day goes on, when I cough up phlegm, it is white and/or clear, less chunky, but still quite thick.  

I am worried about •Bronchiectasis because 1. It's week #5 and although the cough has gotten MUCH better, I still have phlegm/chest congestion daily and 2. That morning phlegm is QUITE thick/chunky.

Can it be that I'm already seeing symptoms of •Bronchiectasis?
Could it be something else?

I'm currently taking nasonex (had a runny/stuffy nose as well...doc thought post nasal drop may be causing chest congestion still), as well as finishing up a 10 day prescription of Doxycycline (doc didn't think it was bacterial, but just in case gave me this to take...I'm on day 5).  Neither seem to be signifcantly CHANGING/LESSENING my chest congestion too much.

When should I go back to the doctor?  Am I not giving this enough time to "heal"? panicking?
Bronchiecstasis is much more common than people realize and is frequently developed in childhood.  My guess is that you need to see your doctor again to make sure that the infection has been completely cleared.  Green mucous is generally a sign of bacterial infection.  

I wouldn't say that you are panicking.  There is good cause to be concerned.  I would suggest that you call the doctor's office and tell his/her staff what is going on and that you are wondering if you are on the right antibiotic or if it needs to be changed.  If you are still experiencing symptoms when your course on antibiotic is done you should definitely call the doctor's office and tell them that things are where they should be.  I slightly congested cough at that stage would be ok, but coughing green chunks never is.  

I hope that helps you some.  Take care and feel better.
I have the same problem...I cough up phlegm all the time..I was on antibiotic for a wk. and now have pain in back..I also have copd.....now I am coughing up pinkish red phlegm...calling my lung dr. tomorrow...he will keep an eye on this matter.  Good Luck diney