Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
CT Scan -> Moderate to Severe Emphysema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

CT Scan -> Moderate to Severe Emphysema

I recently had a chest CT scan regarding a vocal problem. Well it turns out that the findings say "moderate to severe emphysema." I'm a little perplexed because I'm windering what is mentioned in the findings that would lead to that impression? It seems like they jumped over a lot to get there.

Here is what it says:

TECHNIQUE: Multidetector CT of the chest was performed after the
     administration of 100 cc of Ultravist 300. 5mm axial
     reconstructions were acquired.

COMPARISON: No prior CT chest is available for comparison.

FINDINGS: There is asymmetry of the vocal cords. There is mild
     enlargement of the right lobe of thyroid. There are no enlarged
     hilar lymph nodes. There is no pleural or pericardial effusion.
     There is a moderate diffuse emphysema with minimal bibasilar
     fibrosis. Small mediastinal lymph nodes are seen.

Review of bones shows no lytic or sclerotic lesions concerning
     for metastasis.

Limited sections to the upper abdomen are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

Moderate to severe emphysema.

Small mediastinal lymph nodes not enlarged by size criteria.

Asymmetry of the vocal cords of unclear etiology.

I am scheduling an appointment with a pulmonologist. I don't have any symptoms. I stopped smoking a year ago and I'm a 58 year-old male. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tags: emphysema
My suggestion would be to see a pulmonologist. So, you are thinking on the right path. I cannot determine what your CT findings mean. I am not qualified to so whatsoever. Have the results of your CT scan either sent to the pulmonologist or have them with you, when you see the pulmonologist. The pulmonary doctor can determine from the CT scan, what further testing may need to be done. I was diagnosed in Oct. 2007 with moderate COPD. So, I too have emphysema. I though did have symptoms. But I believe, from my research into COPD, not all people will have symptoms. I was 50 ath the time of diagnosis and was a smoker. A person can quit smoking 20 yrs. ago and still develop COPD. My family doctor did a chest xray and a spirometry test and discovered the COPD. A spirometry test is a simple breathing test, that measures the amount of air you can breathe out. I though did want a second opinion and was refered to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist confirmed the diagnosis of COPD. But, make that appointment with the pulmonologist. And have the results of your CT scan made available to this doctor. And ask questions, questions, questions. Many times doctors leave us hanging with the diagnosis of emphysema. I am wishing you the very best of luck and outcome on this.
I too have moderate Emphysema -

Just wondering how did the pulmonologist diagnosis your problem?  I had a spirometry test done too..........but my CT showed very tiny foci nodules (most than 7 mm) with ground glass opacities...So they doctor wants to do a broncoscopy.  Have you had a broncoscopy done?  but first he wants to do another CT Scan -- but I am sure he will still do the bronc test no matter what my CT shows.  Do you have any idea if this is normal procedure?

Thank you,
Julie
Hi! It's me. I lost all my old log in info. I finally saw the pulmonologist. Actually I saw two Dr's. One was a Dr who was a fellow at the hospital's clinic. Anyway, it's good news. I did excellent on the Spirometry and although there has been damage to my lungs, it's not extensive to the whole area and they don't anticipate that I will be confined to a wheelchair with an oxygen tank or that I will die from it. Of course there could be problems with cancer later on, as any smoker should know, but they don't think there will be any from emphysema. I did the best thing I could do for it and that was to have stopped smoking just over a year ago. Thanks for your messages.  
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!  THANK GOD!!!!!!!
It is curious that you have no symptoms. I should think you would get out of breath climbing stairs, for instance. I have moderate emphysema and I do.

Why don't you buy yourself an "Assess Peak Flow Meter." This is available on the internet. It will tell you how much air you exhale and will list norms for you. It is a cheap and a helpful indicator. Also you might want to get an oximeter. This is a little gizmo that slips over your finger and tells you your blood oxygen level. Of course make an appointment with a specialist, but I have always found that I am helped by a little personal background knowledge. If your results are normal with the peak flow meter, I would have serious questions for my doctor.
As I said, it's confined to one relatively small area of the lung. The fact that I have no symptoms and did better than the norms on the spirometry lead the two doctors that collaborated on everything to conclude what they did.