Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Can I improve oxygen saturation level?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can I improve oxygen saturation level?

I started coming down with flu like symptoms this past Sunday...had a little cough and run down feeling.  On Monday didn't feel much better..but as the day progressed into the evening, the coughing started getting more frequent. By midnight, I was coughing and not being able to catch my breath.  Long story short, went to the hospital for the next 4 days.  The Pulmonary Doctor hasn't said exactly what it is yet because of inflammation/mucous buildup etc. that we are trying to clear out with various inhalers and meds. I see him again in 3 weeks. My Oxygen count sitting or laying is 92-94 but moving around or walking, it goes down to 87-89.  So...the Dr has me on oxygen for when I am active which I just really hate to take!!  Smoker for 30 years 1 pack a day or so of lights. I had theshortness of breath doing sometimes simple things and mucous buildup/clearing of throat.  After going through what I just did, I am NOT smoking any more.  Not even a consideration!!  Doctor says that quitting can help to increase my lung function.  The question I have is......by doing breathing exercises and other physical exercise, can this or will this process improve my O2 saturation level to increase?  I know I will never be at 98 or higher, but if I can get my O2 level up to 92 or so when i am moving around, that is my main goal. Thanks for any advice on best exercises too....