Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Can the CPAP Damage the lungs or cause infections?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

My husband was recently told by a doctor that he has early emphysema.  He is not a smoker, but he has used the cpap for several years now.  Could not changing his tubing and mask cause an infection in his lungs that could cause him to have these problems? (it has been a long time since he changed his tubing and we are remedying that today)   Around July of this year he started noticing a heaviness in his chest and it got bad enough that he had me make him a doctor appointment.  So the result of that breathing test is early emphysema.  Could it be some type of fungal infection?  I'm looking for some hope and help here.  

He can't get into a specialist for 6-8 weeks, so while we have waiting time and I figured I would do a little research.  
Hi!
Yes, CPAP can affect the upper airway passages, even if it does not affect the lungs directly. Well, sneezing and watery eyes can be due to a reaction to CPAP machine. This machine dries up the eyes and nasal passages which causes irritation, burning and sneezing. You can try a cold water humidifier to start with. If you already have a humidifier and you still experience these symptoms you may need a heated humidifier. In most cases this resolves nasal congestion and irritation if it is caused by CPAP. However, its best to consult your specialist.
However, if you have cough, difficulty breathing and other such lung related symptoms, please consult a doctor immediately.
Take care!
Follow this alternate nostril breathing technique to improve the lung function. You will notice the difference in weeks.Both of you can do it.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
February 6 ,2012