Can the CPAP Damage the lungs or cause infections?
My husband was recently told by a doctor that he has early emphysema.  He is not a smoker, but he has used the cpap for several years now.  Could not changing his tubing and mask cause an infection in his lungs that could cause him to have these problems? (it has been a long time since he changed his tubing and we are remedying that today)   Around July of this year he started noticing a heaviness in his chest and it got bad enough that he had me make him a doctor appointment.  So the result of that breathing test is early emphysema.  Could it be some type of fungal infection?  I'm looking for some hope and help here.  

He can't get into a specialist for 6-8 weeks, so while we have waiting time and I figured I would do a little research.  
Hi!
Yes, CPAP can affect the upper airway passages, even if it does not affect the lungs directly. Well, sneezing and watery eyes can be due to a reaction to CPAP machine. This machine dries up the eyes and nasal passages which causes irritation, burning and sneezing. You can try a cold water humidifier to start with. If you already have a humidifier and you still experience these symptoms you may need a heated humidifier. In most cases this resolves nasal congestion and irritation if it is caused by CPAP. However, its best to consult your specialist.
However, if you have cough, difficulty breathing and other such lung related symptoms, please consult a doctor immediately.
Take care!
Follow this alternate nostril breathing technique to improve the lung function. You will notice the difference in weeks.Both of you can do it.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
February 6 ,2012
I had to discontinue using my cpap, due to chronic lung infections. Changing the tubing, keeping it spotless, did not help prevent infection for me. Stopping the cpap treatment, is the only thing that prevented the chronic lung infections...and I always used the humitifer, which never helped prevent any infection... I regret ever having the sleep study and I regret what all the money and time it cost me, and the suffering of 3 years of lung infections...I am so done using the cpap treatment!
Cpap machines are a scam.   Horrible contraptions that ruin health and break relationships. Big money is made selling these monstrous, ugly, humiliating machines.  All of the companies want you to think that they are wonderful and your spouse will love it and it's great look. You will have a personal, intimate relationship with this machine that will become more important than your spouse. Your spouse will feel left out, betrayed and alone. Do not fall for the scam. Demand another option.
I have been using a CPAP for 22 years and they only got an upper respiratory infection if I didn't keep my mask and unit clean which is my own fault they tell you to clean it every 3 to 5 days and a change out your stuff Timely but it has made such a huge difference in my life I wouldn't go without it I just need to be more on the ball when it comes to keeping it clean I have done a lot of research on sleep apnea and CPAP is a incredible connection between congestive heart failure and other heart diseases I used to fall asleep driving to CPAP has changed my life for the better
@fisches -- that new age attitude kills people. CPAP machines save lives, period.
@BarbAng -- I hope you have some other treatment options, as chronic sleep apnea puts your health at risk.
There are thousands of people given cpap machines that they don't need. I know people who used to sleep just fine before. They had none of the symptoms but their employer forced them to do a sleep study because they were overweight.  After going on the cpap they developed all the symptoms of sleep apnea where none existed previously. After going off the machine, all symptoms went away. This is an extremely over prescribed device and no one listens to the people who are tired and miserable when using it. It is a great thing for those - and only those - people who need it. Do not bash those who want off the machine - people who use it when they don't need it are very much at risk.
The tubing on all machines should an changed at least every 2 to 3 months... That is what my o2 specialist told me. The air ways gain bacteria and can cause problems.  I did that, started exercising and a correct diet. Things have changed, I am getting rid of breathing machine and all that goes with it.  I have never heard anything good about the CPAP.. And hope that any one on it gets off soon.
I started using the cpap.  About divw days after using,I developed the worst respiratory infection that lasted over a month. I honestly believe it came using the cpap. I refuse to use it right now...
*correction* In November I started using my cpap machine. I used it for about 5 days and all of a sudden, I developed a bad respiratory infection that lasted over a month....I'm still not well. I honestly believe it came from using the cpap.

.
I too was just diagnosed with interstitial lung disease after being on cpap for a year. I do not smoke and never had any lung issues or did my family. Weird so I am concerned to that maybe I should quit using.
I fell asleep while driving some years back, almost got killed.  I knew I had sleep apnea, but was reluctant to use CPAP.   After falling asleep driving, I had a sleep study, have used CPAP regularly for years.  My wife loves it, as I am no longer keeping her awake with loud snoring.  I am far more alert during the day, seldom take a nap now, whereas before, I fell asleep often on my computer, watching TV.  I consider CPAP a lifesaver.  Being concerned about the danger of  a dirty CPAP, I now have SoClean, just need to make sure I use it regularly, still trying to get in a routine with it.
OMGOSH....CPAP in recent yrs caused my sinus cavities and upper chest to be irritated, cause sinus issues, sinus cavities headaches and make me feel like crap. I've gone to the pulmonary doctor to discuss my situation and they have never heard of it...right! :(......I know I'm not the only one! I feel it IS a BIG MONEY SCAM. I did put it away for 6 months and started using Affirn (per doc's recommendations) and then I get all caught up with a stuffy nose 1 way thru my day and then get all caught up with that. At this point, I'm looking a food allergies such as diary, which in my case could cause inflammation of nasal membranes......I do know when I stop eating diary my air ways functions much better..........