Cheese and Mucus
I have copd. Does eating cheese affect my copd. And is there something besides Mucinex that I can use or take to help loosen up the thick sticky mucus that builds up in my lungs?
Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
What exactly do you have? I have emphysema and coughing and phlegm is not an issue for me. Do you have bronkitis?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I have emphysema. i use advair twice a day and spiriva one a day. The biggest problem for me is that I always seem to havemucus build up in the mornings. My doctor has told me to try mucinex, but that doesn't seem to work all the time. So i try using albuterol in the morning to help loosen up the mucus so that I can breath better.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
757137 tn?1347200053
Try a mucolytic (mucus thinner). I take 1000 mg. of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) daily. It works very well and there are no side effects. It even got rid of my sinus headaches. I still eat cheese even though even though I probably shouldn't.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
757137 tn?1347200053
P.S. Albuterol, if you are using it, is drying. That is another reason for using a mucolytic. I use an albuterol combination in a nebulizer. I can't do without it, but the B5 reverses the drying.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
757137 tn?1347200053
As to Spiriva, I had to stop using it because it turned my lungs to glue. I stopped Advair because of serious choking that threatened my life. I have moderate COPD and am doing well on Duoneb (an nebulizing combination that contains albuterol) and an antihistamine. As for anything else I depend on natural supplements - vitamin B5, mullein extract, and MSM. I breathe more easily now than I have in two years. (Also Advair resulted in adrenal fatigue which I am now recovering from.)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
518117 tn?1429279873
I was diagnosed with moderate COPD in Oct. 07. I too was put on Spiriva and Advair. About 3 mths. on these meds, I had the sickest winter of my life. Pneumonia, bronchitis and 3 months of painful pleurisy. I instantly stopped the Advair. Then, I stopped the Spiriva. And for almost 2 yrs. now, I am doing better without these meds, then when I was taking them. I don't suggest this stopping of meds for everyone. But, personally these meds made me much worse. I agree on the natural supplement approach. I do take a rescue inhaler. But, only when I have to. Just my experience and input.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community Resources