Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Chest tightness preventing full inflation of lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

I have copd and uncontrolled asthma. Recently have severe inability to inflate lungs any more than what feels like half. If exercising it brings me to the point of panic as I cannot get sufficient air in. Then it feels like something "pops" air more air can get in. Resting heart rate is about 105 on average rapidly rising under any exertion. Blood pressure averages over 150 / 85 rising to 190 / 90.or more. Brain functions at times cease (TLE) possibly. Hospitalised with possible stroke affecting speech and vision. Symptoms cleared quickly except for speech. Cause undiagnosed for inability to inflate lungs which appears to be the main cause of problem. Any suggestions?
Hi!
A combination of high pulse rate, high respiration rate and high blood pressure can affect the function of both heart and lungs causing low oxygen supply to brain and hence stroke like symptoms.
A resting pulse rate of 105 is pretty high and the commonest cause is anemia. Hence this should be investigated for. Tachycardia or high pulse rate can also be due hyperthyroidism, fever, low blood sugar, anxiety and panic disorder, heart causes like sinus tachycardia and palpitations, alcohol, coffee, effect of certain drugs etc. Hence, you also need to rule out heart causes by consulting a cardiologist and getting an ECG and ECHO.
Apart from this it is very important to keep the asthma and COPD under control with proper medications. In your case, probably intermittent oxygen therapy can also be tried. Please discuss all these points with your treating doctor. Take care!
I thank you so much for your answer it has helped a great deal. The symptoms I experience are greatly intensified under "load"  what I mean by this is that if I do a barbell overhead lift with 50lb weight for ten reps no problems are felt. If I do 15, even though it is not difficult to do my left side chest tightens considerably and I have difficulty breathing, it almost feels that I could go either way, recover or collapse. Blood pressure jumps up exceeds 200 / 90 but pulse does not alter much from normal.Local doctors in the regional area where I live don't want to investigate this as it is outside their expertise.