Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Coming off a ventilator with end stage COPD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

My father was diagnosed with COPD 13 years ago and has never quit smoking and has severely declined in health the past 2-3 years. He struggled to walk to the restroom, he struggles through meals. And it may take him 30-45 minutes to get outside, but he goes out there and smokes still. He has been hospitalized countless yikes however in November he has pneumonia and heart failure and was in for a month before being released. His recovery shocke everyone. He is back in again with pneumonia however and went into severe respiratory distress on Friday and was placed on a ventilator. My question is regarding if any one has any experiences or knowledge regarding the success of end stage COPD patients being taken off the ventilator? I am just concerned that even if he somehow is successfully taken off, then his lungs will give out shortly after.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The options for end stage lung disease include transplantation and long term invasive ventilation. Other supportive options are pulmonary rehabilitation and palliative care. Maximal inspiratory pressure (MIP) and Paco2 are used as guidelines for weaning. Other vitals should also be stable. So, depending on his reserved capacity, your doctor will discuss the options with you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.