Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Cough the induces vomiting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Cough the induces vomiting

I got a cold around the 3rd week in March, it was pretty bad with fever, chills, cough, aches etc. but by about 6 days or so i felt much better and only had the cough remaining. It has now been almost 6wks of a constant daily cough. I have horrible bouts of coughing which are followed by vomiting and a light headed feeling. I have been terribly fatigued for about 2 weeks with this because it just takes everything out of me. I do not have insurance so I have struggled with going to the hospital because it will created an enormous amount of debt with all of the tests they may take. I am just really beginning to get scared because this cough isn't getting any better. What could this be?
Hi!
Chronic cough causing you to vomit can be due to a bad gastric reflux. It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Drink cold milk. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
Otherwise, you will need to run a battery of tests to rule out COPD, allergy, and other causes of chronic cough. Take care!