Aa
A
A
Close
Emphysema and constipation
My 89 yo father has COPD and his recent time in the hospital he became constipated with no bowel movements. They tried many things (suppositories, enemas, miralax and a myriad of home remedies) with still no success. A CT scan showed both stool and gases in his colon. A sigmoidoscomy relieved some of this but not much. We were told he isn't a candidate for a full colonoscomy without a lot of risk. He was sent home with hospice. He has gotten very weak and can't even sit up without help. My siblings and I will also care for him, but we are upset that the lack of a bowel movement will probably mean his demise. Do you have any suggestions??? Before this he was able to walk (he had just started using a walker), eat, etc. Is this part of the end stages of COPD?
Thank you for any help.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
757137_tn?1347200053
I don't know if this is a typical end stage of COPD, but those often close to death the system seems to shut down. The patient stops eating and drinking. Is your father still eating?
Comment
Cancel
757137_tn?1347200053
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Dad is still eating and drinking but is on a soft/liquid diet. His lungs sound better than they have in a while, and he has a good heartbeat.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hospice nurse brought in gas-x tablets. After his second one he started passing gas. The following day a lot of gas, and he had his first real bowel movement in over 2 weeks. We're still not completely out of the woods, but it's a start. Who would have thought an OTC med would have solved the problem?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Emphysema and constipation
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community Resources