Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
FOREIGN BODY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

FOREIGN BODY

Hi!My name Is Durim,22 years old(male).I have a question that makes me confused!!!I would like to ask for foreign troops in respiratory system.Is possible to pass the laryng or trachea a half toothpick or corn without appear reflex of coughing, strangulation or something else?

But even if have gone in trachea, bronchi or elsewhere, Do we have any symptoms?
Thank you!
Hi!
If half toothpick or corn passes through your larynx, it will generate the cough reflex. Usually this throws the thing out. Sometimes, this breaks the foreign body into very small pieces that are either thrown out with the cough or swallowed through the pharynx. Some small particle may reach the trachea and is phagocytosed there. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Thank you,dr.Kokil Mathur.I would like to ask you another question...I would like to know if there is any risk if you aspirate toothbrush brislte(just one or two from 50 or i dont know how they are in head of toothbrush)Thank you!
By the way , I am medical student,and i have a distress.So i would like to help me!So,everything(not exactly everything) that i eat, i scare it going in trachea or in lungs.Always happened with minor foods...and always i cough because i scare that it has gone something in trachea ...this problem is followed about 3-4 moths ago and still continue...I scare that it going to be mental problem.Sometimes i thought,the reasons is, Im e medical student and it might be MEDICAL STUDENT SYNDROME..
As i mentioned,I was with my friend walking after we have dinner.I was walking with a toothpick in my hand...and then i break it in two half,one of the half i put in recycle bin and other half i was keeping in my hand and sometimes cleaning my teeth..when we arrive in the library(because our destination was there) I start to ask for my half toothpick where could it be...after 5-10min i scare that it might be aspirate(I don't why i think so,it was any cough,irritation or strangulation...im sure that i have dismiss in the ground without consciousness).This story was about 3months ago..during now i don't have any symptoms.But in another hand from this story i think i have phobia for anything that i eat without consciousness because i scare that i will aspirate.I think i am in a mental confusion.

I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF YOU GONNA HELP ME!
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOU SUPPORT !
Hi Durim!
Usually doctors don’t answer the same post twice—its open to other community members thereafter for their valuable comments and support, but just as an exception I am answering because you appear to be unnecessarily worried. The human body has a very good defense mechanism. Usually when something is going down your food pipe, the opening to the trachea immediately closes. Hence, food, small particles, liquid—in fact nothing goes down trachea. Sometimes, involuntarily, even if something went into the first part of trachea, a very strong cough reflex throws it out—you will involuntarily keep coughing till it goes out. Very very rarely, if you are really sick would you aspirate something into the lungs. Regarding the toothpick—it probably fell from your hand or you swallowed it and it left your body mixed with stool. Take care!

Thank you,dr.Kokil a lot...I am very thankful for your time... really do.I wish you all the best!!!
With respect : Durim
Hi,Dr.Kokil! I would like also to ask several question about R.System,because i am very interested and i don't have very clearly ...

1.If something(foreign body) has gone in trachea,bronchi or alveoli Do we have any symptoms?
2.If yes,how many days should we wait until symptoms appear?
3.Is it possible to have a foreign body in the lungs , without symptoms?

Thank you a lot,Dr.Kokil!These are the last question for this topic!
I HOPE YOU WILL CONSIDER MY QUESTIONS AND CLARIFY MY THOUGHTS!

P.S I AM AT FIRST YEAR AT MED SCHOOL(GENERAL MEDICINE).