FOREIGN BODY
Hi! I would like also to ask several question about R.System,because i am very interested and i don't have very clearly ...

1.If something(foreign body) has gone in trachea,bronchi or alveoli Do we have any symptoms?
2.If yes,how many days should we wait until symptoms appear?
3.Is it possible to have a foreign body in the lungs , without symptoms?

Thank you a lot,Dr.Kokil!These are the last question for this topic!
I HOPE YOU WILL CONSIDER MY QUESTIONS AND CLARIFY MY THOUGHTS!

P.S I AM AT FIRST YEAR AT MED SCHOOL(GENERAL MEDICINE).
Hi!
Aspiration of the foreign body has three phases. The first phase is the instant reaction to the aspiration which results in a cough reflex and sneezing etc and usually the foreign body is expelled this way. Sometimes, the foreign body lodges in the trachea or bronchus or bronchioles. The muscles of the airways relax with the lodging of the foreign body and usually there are no symptoms for weeks. This is the asymptomatic phase. However, if it was a large foreign body then this may produce choking and worsening breathlessness with no asymptomatic phase. In the last phase symptoms start again and may mimic a COPD with cough and wheezes, or pneumonia like symptoms may appear or the person may become progressively breathless. Foreign bodies very rarely reach the alveoli and if they do they cause asthma like symptoms. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you,Dr.Kokil Mathur.This was very helpful.