Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Husband Has COPD and what to look for to bring him to hospital

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

My husband is 47 and is diagnosed with emphysema.  I don't know what stage.  He doesn't tell me much.  He went to the doctors last week and his pulse ox was 85 then 88 when checked a few minutes later.  He continues to smoke cigarretts and pot.   He smoked both since he was 13 so 34 years.  He drinks and really doesn't take care of himself.  I should probably go with him next month to his appointment.  He's always out of breath and complains about tightness in his chest alot.  He is 6 feet and weighs about 135 pounds.

When he was 30 he had 3 spontaneous pneumothoraxes and he had a surgery to stick his lung to his chest wall.  In his other lung he gets small spontaneous pneumothoraxes which don't require a chest tube once in a great while.  

My question to you is what should I look for on when to bring him to the ER?  He doesn't do much.  He takes naps often.  He has started walking with me for about an hour a day.  He is not on oxygen.  I'm not to sure what to look for.  I know he needs to quit smoking and such but he has to do that.  I just don't want to find him dead at home.

Sorry for being so blunt but just wondering what to look for in case I need to call an ambulance.  Thank you.