Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Increased Lung Pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Increased Lung Pressure

Is anxiety a cause of increased lung pressure? Or maybe a cause at the time of test? Also, is hyperinflation the same as increased lung pressure?
Hi!
Increased lung pressure or pulmonary hypertension occurs due to left side heart failure, emphysema, liver problems, blood clots in lungs, scleroderma, lupus, sleep disorders etc. Sometimes no cause is found, but it is not anxiety related.
Pulmonary hypertension with hyperinflation is seen in COPD such as emphysema. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for your answer. I can only tell you that I had an ECG after the results of a holter monitor showed an irregular heart beat. The ECG finding were 4 leaky heart valves which were labeled clinically insignificant. My Doctor then preceded to tell me that I also had some increased lung pressure. He suggested a sleep study for sleep apnea after asking me questions relative to that. My doctor did not speak of hyperinflation, but only increased lung pressure. Is increased lung pressure the same as pulmonary hypertension? Again thank you.
yes it is--increased lung pressure=pulmonary hypertension.
Hello, I think I may have it, so I've been googling about his disease: all the medical sites agree it should not be left untreated. Some sites say a first step toward a diagnosis is an echocardiogram, but they also say to have a definite diagnosis requires complicated tests like sticking a catheter in your heart. So I'm surprise your doctor could tell from an ECG.  And also surprised he was nonchalant about it !! The lung doctor I see twice a year for COPD (my Fev1 is down to 27, which is very very bad) has never suggested an echocardiogram, but my ankles, feet and abdomen are reaaaally swollen, my lungs are very ill, shortness of breadth is constant and I also experience other symptoms like dizziness and occasional loss of balance, so I'm pretty sure I have it. Anyway, if you have insurance you should definitely try and find out more about this condition, as it's bad, but there are some treatments available! this is a video about it: http://www.livestrong.com/video/3636-pulmonary-hypertension-health-byte/ - I