Low oxygen levels
My oxygen level is 84 when I'm awake. What is the normal for a 53 years old male. I get short of breath with very little excercise to the point I can barely stand. My chest feels like I have a vert tight band sround it and I can't catch my breath for  several minutes.

This discussion is related to oxygen level 79 while sleeping.
A normal oxygen level for a 53 year old is the same for any other healthy adult.  Your oxygen leve should be between 97% to 100% on room air.  If your oxygen saturation is that low you need to see a pulmonary specialist to find out why,  People with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease have lower oxygen levels, usually in the low 90's  It is important for you to get down to the reason for why your satuation level is so low as it needs to be corrected asap.  I wish you all the best.
Yes  - that is way too low,  You either have heart problems, lung problems or both.

I would get them checked out asap and then - if you can exercise - I'd get started - if you are overweight - I'd get started on a serious diet.
my mom has asthma her oxygen level goes 88 to 90 when she sleep is that a normal
I've recently been diagnosed with COPD and was prescribed an inhaler and oxygen.  I take 2 puffs in the morning & night of the inhaler.  I was told I only need to use the oxygen when I am exerting myself. I have been monitoring my oxygen levels and most of the time it is in the 80's with a heart rate also in the 80's.  When I put the oxygen on my oxygen level goes up to 92 -94 and my heart rate goes down to 60-64.  Should I be using oxygen all the time and not just when I'm exerting myself?