Lung Nodules
I had a Chest CT yesterday to r/o a blood Clot. It came back negative for a blood clot but it shows I have 5 nodules in my lungs  all 4mm or less. It also states that I have Mediastinum and Hila- Mildly enlarged, enlarged right greater than left bilateral hilar and borderline enlarged middle mediastinal lymph nodes. I am 40 years old and am a smoker. The ER doctor recommended a lung speicalist. Can you please tell me what you think about this and should I be concerned about cancer.
Hi!
If you are a smoker, have hilar shadows and lung nodules, then I am sorry, but yes, the first suspicion is lung cancer. It depends on the type of opacities caused by the nodules. A well defined opacity in lung can be due to pneumonia, cancer, tuberculosis, a benign lung nodule, or due to an infarct. Less well defined or diffuse opacities can be due to inflammation, tuberculosis (military type), asbestosis, silicosis, auto-immune diseases etc. Usually most lung nodules that are not calcified are benign if they are less than 10 mm in size. Also, the possibility of nodules becoming cancerous increases with history of smoking/current smoking/previous history of cancer/family history of cancer. One can get multiple small non calcified lung nodules and they may all be benign. If you are in otherwise great shape, then you will need annual follow-ups. Any change in size, density, appearance of nodules, calcification etc will need further follow up, and maybe closer follow-up. However, since I cannot examine you, nor see the films first hand, it would be best to take an opinion from  a cancer specialist or lung specialist who can examine you. Take care!