Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Lung sample shows e coli
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lung sample shows e coli

I have had a worsening cough (wet -w hite sputum) for 8 years(yes 8 years! Allegic rhinitis is diagnosed and enlarged turbinates identifies on a ct scan..  I've also   had chest x ray, chest ct scan, broncoscopy.  I am taking antihistamine (Telfast - fexofenadine) and Montelucast.

The ct scan was clear (two small nodules 3 and 4mms- no follow up - I'mnot sure about that either) but the fluid taken in the broncoscopy fluid sample grew heavy bacterial growth which I told is e coli.  One course of amoxycillin (1 week) was prescribed,the cough is less painful and less frequently on the antibiotics but it gets worse again off the antibiotics.

My worry is the consultant says the e coli is not the cause of the cough because the antibiotics haven't cured the cough, and the sample must have been 'contaminated', as only auto immune compromised people get e coli infections in the lungs.

I have three questions, why prescribe the antibiotics if the sample is not valid?

Is a sample only valid when all of the other symptoms add to infection?

How does a sample get contaminated?

I know e coli in the lung is rare but I am worried this result is being ignored so why not do another sputum check?

What advice have you please doctor?

thanks