Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Never smoked - diagnosed with COPD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Never smoked - diagnosed with COPD

I am 43 and have been diagnosed with COPD, mild at the moment.  I have never smoked and so far as I know never been near harmful chemicals or high pollution.  I've never lived with a smoker.

How is this likely to progress?  As there is no obvious cause, is it likely to get worse more quickly or more slowly?  How long do people live with this in a mild form until it gets worse?

I have two young sons and am worried that I will find it hard to continue to look after them if it worsens.
Well Katie since you are not a smoker. Your COPD should progress slowly. It's good that it was caught at the early stage. Unlike my husband who was diagnosed last July. Unfortuntatly his was caught too late. It was moderate to severe at the time. Now, he is in the end stage. Katie my advise to you is, EXCERCISE, DUST FREE ZONE, EAT HEALTHY. All this factor's will slow the process down. We didn't have the option. Keep your head up, everything will be ok. I wish you all the luck in the world. keep in touch let me know how your doing..And if you need advise.

Mrs. Pina
is there a test for copd. i got asthma this year never had before , or they can be copd. how can you find out what is it.

i did smoke but quite 25 years ago.
sorry meant to say, can it be copd my asthma dr said it could be , but i need to know how you find out for sure?

i have wheezing sometimes and sinuse really infected right now from cold since oct 2008 , this sound like it could be copd