Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Oxygen level at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Oxygen level at night

I have emphysema, asthma, and chronic bronchitis (all that and I'm not a smoker, what are the chances?). During my sleep test my oxygen levels dropped to 76, I tried the C-PAC and only got aggravated allegies. Tomorrow I start with oxygen at night. How serious is 76% and how hopeful should I be that oxygen will work?
Anytime your oxygen drops below 88 it causes brain and nerve damage. So 76 is serious. I use a BIPAP machine, which is a CPAP with oxygen ... it keeps my levels right where they want them...97 for me. I use oxygen 24/7. I'm 53, smoked cigs for 30 years, have been off them for three years. I no longer crave the nasty things.
Yes, I think the oxygen at night will help you. That's how I started out, then as I got worse I need it all the time now.
Good luck with your breathing. I know how you feel!
Blessings,
Magickwoman
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but wanted to let you know that you're not the only one with this problem. I couldn't seem to use the CPAP enough and Medicare removed it.
Since my nighttime oxygen level was so low (about the same as yours) my doctor has me on oxygen at night now. It's been about 3 weeks so he will have me tested soon to see if it makes a difference. Your doctor will probably do that too.
I'm not sure I feel any better, but I think I'm less sleepy.
Keep in touch and let us know how it works for you,
Grammy_Bo