Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
PFT Interpretation followup PART 2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

PFT Interpretation followup PART 2

Here is the rest of the post from Part 1 that exceeded the 2000 character maximum so have finished the post here.

Here was your response to my original post titled PFT Interpretation.

The first thing to do is to confirm that the PFT values are valid; performed in a reliable lab by an experienced technician and interpreted by a qualified physician.

Greater than predicted values indicate lung hyperinflation. This phenomenon is characteristic of what are called obstructive lung diseases that include Asthma, COPD, Emphysema. The degree of severity of these diseases varies from Mild to Very Severe.

A reduction in FEV1/FVC ratio ( 100% is inconsistent with the finding of hyperinflation and reduced FEV1. I suggest that you discuss this apparent discrepancy with the physician who ordered your testing.