Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Phlegm

hello, i am 20 years old female student and a smoker for 7 years. 6 months (or more) ago i felt like there is something in my throat.like a very thick phlegm but i just ignored it and got used to that feeling. 3 weeks ago i had cough and colds then i started to produce light green color with a grayish spots sputum and it is very very thick. But its not always like that, most of the time it is clear. more or less 5 times a day that week. After a week, the cough goes aways but i still produce that kind of phlegm once a day. and just yesterday, i've noticed that there is a very small amount of blood on my sputum. i dont know if it is really from my lung or just because im forcing to cough out that "something" in my throat because i still got that feeling. i have'nt seen a doctor yet. what does all of this indicate? pls help me. thank you.
Tags: phlegm, Blood
Usually, if it's green it's an infection.  Yellow can also be an infection, but usually you can still fight it off without an antibiotic if it's yellow.  Green is a more advanced infection.  You should see your doctor and get an antibiotic.  If it were from COPD or CHF it would be clear or white.    
    If I could do my life over again I would have one wish and that would be to have never smoked.
btsmith
stop smoking, now! I stopped after smoking for 4 years, I am 23, and my sputum have gone, I do not cough immediately I have stopped. SO that is the lesson