Question about Stage 4
My M-I-L is 70, she was apparently diagnosed with Emphysema about 2-3 years ago.  She is telling everyone that she was diagnosed with Stage 4, however, she is not on oxygen, not barrel chested, not losing weight, doesn't cough much (from what I can hear).  She does get winded, but I've seen her go up and down 2 flights of stairs w/very little huffing/puffing.  I question the stage 4 diagnosis as I watched my grandmother with stage 4 for 2-3 years before she died and it was not pretty,  and she was on oxygen 24/7.  I do not believe my M-I-L is that bad, I'm figuring between stage 2-3.  She also does not eat right (basically once a day (long story) - her diet consists of candy and diet coke), does not exercise (even though she does say she walks at the park, but not sure how true that actually is), and basically doesn't really do anything (she lives with us).   Is it possible to have stage 4 and not need oxygen?  How do you know when you cross over to stage 4?
She is absolutely not stage 4, and I doubt she is stage three. Maybe she just wants attention. Look up the stages on the internet for complete information on the four stages.
My Husband is in stage 4 the only person on earth that has seen him struggle for air is me. He is very proud. He has only recieved oxygen while in the hospital on 2 emergency occasions, his lungs are full of fluid that i can hear. but he doesn't even cough in public. Pride is a pain in the Arse, I personally would be happier if he accepted his situation a little better. I want to keep him with me a bit longer. we have been together 25 years. and he is the love of my life. He doesn't want to disappoint me. it *****.