Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Shortness of breath!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Shortness of breath!

Hello. I've had shortness of breath, chest pains and side pains x2 weeks now. I started with this cough that won't go ago a week ago. Went to my dr and she did a chest x-ray and labs. The chest x-ray was normal and all of the labs but the D-Dimer came back normal. They gave me a shot of steroids and started me on prednisone. I've been on the prednisone since last Friday and don't feel any better. I did a stat CT of my chest last Friday which came back fine. Also I'm having nausea and swelling in my hands and feet. Should I wait this out or call my doctor?
Hi!
Breathlessness or shortness of breath can be due to a cause in the lung, heart or elsewhere. Breathlessness can be due to several causes. The commonest cause is anemia. It can also be due to asthma like conditions, bronchitis (this should be evaluated further), high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism or obesity. Certain heart conditions too can cause breathlessness like mitral valve prolapse, high pulmonary artery pressure etc. Stress and anxiety too can be a cause and so also gastric reflux. What is important is to find out whether you are breathless all the time or is it due to exertion. At times certain triggers can cause breathlessness like a visit to a dusty area, using the blower of a vacuum cleaner, visit to a garden with flowers, perfumes, sprays etc. This is a type of allergic asthma and avoiding allergens will help take care. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Deff call your doctor asap